BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING PROGRAM DETAILS
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
This department was established in the year 1999 as the pioneer engineering department of Madonna University, Okija, Anambra State, Nigeria. The first set of undergraduates were admitted in 1999 and commenced academic programme as freshmen for the 1999/2000 academic session.
The Faculty of Engineering and Technology was transferred to Elele Campus, Rivers State on the 8th day of September 2004. As at that time, Faculty of Engineering and Technology comprised of two departments, which are; Department of Electrical/Electronic Engineering and the Department of Food Science and Technology.
On the 14th day of Nov. 2005 the department of Electrical/Electronic Engineering got full acation. The status of the department coupled with the evidence of achievements of our graduates and students led to the recommendation for establishment of more departments of Engineering in Madonna University.
Furthermore, Faculty of Engineering and Technology was transferred to Akpugo Campus, Enugu State of Nigeria on 27th day of April 2011. The expectations are that this transfer will offer better accommodation, improve on the rate of development of Faculty of Engineering and multiply interest in engineering research, especially in the field of Electrical/Electronic Engineering.
Today, the department is well established and has state–of–the–art equipment in the laboratories and workshops.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE PROGRAMME
The Philosophy of the Department is to produce result oriented graduates with high academic standard and sound practical background for self /employment and capable of adding value to industry and community at large. The challenge is to identify some of the problems that need to be solved and where possible proffer world class solutions.
1. To impart students with the knowledge, skill and ethical orientation necessary for excellence as engineers in industry, academia and public service.
2. To train engineers who will immediately upon graduation become useful as problem solvers, designers or product engineers able to participate actively in the engineering process, capable to translate their knowledge into practical and meaningful products.
3. To equip Nigeria and the world at large with effective professionals in the critical growth of electrical technology.
4. To stimulate the interest of students in research through contact with teachers and mentors who are active in research.
5. To design engineering projects and supervise their implementation.
6. To be able to exercise original thought, have good professional judgment and be able to take responsibility for the direction of important task.
7. To encourage students to consider graduate education and become aware of the need for lifelong learning.
8. To seek broad collaboration on projects and courses with other disciplines and academic departments in order to familiarize students with an interdisciplinary setting similar to that in which many of them will work.
9. To promote professional and institutional pride by providing strong support for student programs with respected professional groups.
The Department was established on a plan of extra ordinary clarity and firmness to produce world class Electrical/Electronic Engineers able to design and construct Electrical/Electronic devices, power systems and Electrical machines, computer architecture with their operating system and softwares, Design and implementation of various communication gears including Instrumentation and Biomedical and control systems with the aim to be active players in evolving solution to the Technological needs of humanity with specialization in key Electrical Engineering areas:
The four areas of specialization within the department are;
(i) Power System Engineering (EEP)
(ii) Electronic and Communication Engineering (EEE)
(iii) Instrumentation and Control Engineering (EEI)
(iv) Biomedical Engineering (EEB)
(i) UTME (UNIFIED TERTIARY MATRICULATION EXAMINATION)
Candidates for the 5-year programme normally seek admission through the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) organized by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB). Such candidates should possess five passes obtained in not more than two sittings of the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) or the General Certification of Education (GCE) Examination or their equivalents.
The fiver s must include English Language, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. An acceptable pass in UTME is required. It is also desirable for candidates to have Further Mathematics and Technical Drawing at levels. Such candidates shall have added advantage.
(ii) Direct Entry
For Direct Entry, candidates must have passes in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry at GCE 'A' level or equivalent. Holders of OND and HND at minimum of upper level are eligible for consideration for admission into 200 and 300 levels respectively. In all cases, however, emphasis will be placed on suitable basic qualification in mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
(i) Any student of this Faculty can seek transfer into another Faculty, department or programme after at least one academic year in the Faculty provided the student satisfies the admission requirements of the new Faculty/Department.
(ii) No transfer shall, however, be allowed into the first or final year of any programme.
(iii) For all transfers, a candidate shall;
- Have obtained a CGPA of not less than 1.00
- All students for transfer are expected to apply to the registrar on the prescribed form enclosing photocopies of qualifying certificate(s), and certified statements of results for all semesters spent so far.
- Meet the admission requirements applicable to the year of study of the programme into which he or she seeks transfer.
- Satisfy the Faculty/Departmental transfer requirements.
- Earn waivers for only those relevant courses passed in his former department.
- Collect from the admission office a transfer letter stating the new programme, the approved year of study, and courses from which waivers had been granted.
- All completed transfer forms shall be processed by the Faculty and departmental boards involved in the transfer, to determine appropriate programme of study, waivers and years of study.
- All cases of transfer shall be presented to the senate for consideration and approval.
- All transfers shall be completed before the registration week of each academic session.
- On registration, the candidate shall be issued a new registration number by the registrar.
Graduates of electrical/electronic engineering are in high demand in the job market. They find employment in power, communication, instrumentation, computer hardware, and semiconductor industries. They are also important in aerospace, defense and biomedical engineering. In fact, electrical/electronic engineers are required in all establishments where there is need for generation, utilization and control of electricity as well as design, construction and maintenance of electronic devices, and machines.
Furthermore, in consonance with national needs and aspirations towards industrial development and technological emancipation, graduates of Electrical-Electronic Engineering should be resourceful, creative and knowledgeable. They must be able to:
(i) Design Electrical/Electronic engineering projects and supervise their implementation.
(ii) Design and implement components, machines, equipment and systems.
(iii) Design and develop new products and production techniques in industries.
(iv) Install and maintain complex engineering systems so that they can perform optimally in our environment.
(v) Adapt and adopt exogenous technology in order to solve local engineering problems.
(vi) Exercise original thought, have good professional judgment and be able to take responsibility for directing of important tasks.
(vii) Manage people, fund, materials and equipment.
(viii) Improve on indigenous technology to enhance local problems solving capability.
Click here to View all Courses offered
1 Madonna University Road
P.M.B 05 Elele,
Rivers State Nigeria,
Okija, Anambra State Nigeria,
Akpugo, Enugu State Nigeria
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Phone: 08137180957, 08078130033, 08078129083, 08135955826, 08148396740, 07082137027.